Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wake at Dawn with a Winged Heart



"Wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.”--Khalil Gibran

Two days ago, the morning sky was rosy coral orange with violet accents. This morning it was a pale lemon yellow with gray splashes. Both were very beautiful. Now the sun pours into my little sunroom here, casting shadow patterns from elegant jungle cactus fronds on the brick wall. Ah, here it is, another day of loving. How marvelous!

My heart is very full and I am content. I am in the midst of creating some wonderful artistic/social change projects. The experience quickens me and fills me with joy. I am part of a beautiful spiritual community, many of whom I have practised with for 30 years. I treasure this. I have a gorgeous bouquet of friends, collaborators and allies, and two dear daughters. I live in a beautiful place. This is the season of harvest, both outwardly and inwardly.

"No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has emerged from the kingdom of night." -Elie Wiesel

It's taken decades to come to this deep contentment. I had my own version of prison and torment. But that has faded back in my experience and awareness. Life challenges along with the process of aging has changed me. It's been a process of surrender, acceptance and opening up. What a great blessing.

Today, I'll continue to work on a very funny song for my play A New Wrinkle. It's about Drugs and Medications--from LSD to Prednisone-- and it will be sung by Baba Yaga, the fierce archetype from Russian folklore. The play script is nearly done! Now comes Laura Rich and the musical score. Of course, today means a celebration of food for tomorrow's feasts. My daughter wants me to pick up a flat of very ripe persimmons for her at the Farmer's Market. Sometime today,I will be making some delicious fig/olive tapenade for one gathering of friends and some scalloped potatoes for another Thanksgiving gathering.

In the late afternoon, I am looking forward to some ecstatic movement at NIA, a marvelous dance form that combines movement from dance,martial arts and yoga. Through it all, love pours.

Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live. --Jackie Windspear

No comments:

Post a Comment